The first step in getting your project noticed is to have a dazzling and informative query.
Enter the Write On! Online/The Write Environment Query Contest by June 30. The winner in each category – Screenplay, Teleplay, Fiction, and Non-Fiction – will have their query letter read by a literary agent, among other prizes. (A query is the letter sent to a literary agent, editor, or publisher, used to promote the project, as well as the writer.)
– David Boxerbaum, a senior literary agent working at APA, where he represents writers and directors in the feature and TV world, will read the winners in the screenplay and teleplay categories
– Laura Strachan, who has a boutique literary agency, specializing in literary fiction and narrative non-fiction, will read the fiction and non-fiction queries
– The winning queries will also win an iScript recording of their project. Screenplay or Teleplay up to 110 pages ($275 value); prose or non-fiction up to 20,000 words ($300 value)
– One Grand Prize winner will take home a copy of Save the Cat Software
– Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire, by Simon Beaufoy, courtesy of The Writers Store
– Teleplay: Sliders script, autographed by writer Jon Povill
– Fiction: From Crime to Crime, autographed by author Dennis Palumbo, courtesy of The Writers Store
– Non Fiction: Heliloggoging in a Sucker Hole, autographed by Bart Colantuono, a chopper pilot who can currently be seen on this season of Ax Men on The History Channel
Third Prize, courtesy of Barnes & Noble
– Screenplay: Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You’ll Ever Need by Blake Snyder
– Teleplay: Screenwriting: The Art, Craft, and Business of Film and Television by Richard Walter
– Fiction: Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook by Donald Maass
– Non-Fiction: Thinking like Your Editor: How to Write Great Serious Nonfiction and Get It Published by Alfred Fortunato and Susan Rabiner
– Email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30
– Queries should be 1 page
– No attachments, paste text in the body of the email
– Include name, email address, address, phone number, and category at the top of your submission
– There is no charge to enter this contest
– By submitting, you are agreeing to join the Write On! and The Write Environment email lists
Winners will be announced on July 7 in the Write On! July Newsletter and on www.writeononline.com and www.thewriteenvironment.com.
Write On! Online and The Write Environment are pleased to join forces for this contest, designed to help writers jump-start their careers. Sponsors include The Writers Store, iScript, Blake Snyder and Save the Cat, and more. For tips on writing a good query letter, read the Write On! Online Author Q&A with The Query Queen Wendy Burt-Thomas.
Submit your query today!
To your success,
Debra Eckerling, Write On! Online
Jeffrey Berman, The Write Environment
David Boxerbaum Debra Eckerling iScript Jeffrey Berman Laura Strachan Literary Agent Query Contest Save The Cat The Write Environment The Writers Store Write On!